What is this site?
This is a personal blog; its content and direction is entirely subject to its owner’s whims and pleasures. Maybe you’ll find something cool here; maybe not. Maybe it will find a direction or maybe it will wander. I created it as a place to somewhat-anonymously post my own writing and what I find interesting.
I do welcome comments! Most comments will be published on the site, but personal non-publishable ones are also welcome (just let me know that you don’t want it published). Do be sure to include an email address if you’d like a response.
The tech philosophy behind Hinnz.com
Technical details on how this site was made can now be found at:
This is a website; is is just one of many. But I take pains to make this little corner of the web as nice as possible.
- Hinnz is a handmade website.
- Pages are kept as lightweight as reasonably possible.
- Hinnz.com is designed to work on a wide variety of browsers. It even works in text-only browsers! (For a screenshot, see this Tech Notes post)
- Not everyone has a fast connection. Websites should be usable on slow connections.
- You shouldn’t have to worry about your privacy when visiting a website.
- You shouldn’t need an adblocker to have a good experience on a website.
- With climate change a major world issue, it doesn’t make sense to waste massive amounts of computing power (and thus energy) on a text-based website.
Hinnz.com’s web design philosophy was inspired by many, but most recently by https://solar.lowtechmagazine.com , a website that runs on a solar-powered server.
- Hinnz may move to a server powered by renewable energy
- I am continuing to research ways to make this website operate in an environmentally-responsible manner.